Home Local News Crime and Incidents Service urges public to be aware of carbon monoxide symptoms
Service urges public to be aware of carbon monoxide symptoms PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
News - Crime and Incidents
Tuesday, 26 February 2013 14:15

Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue Service would like to urge the public to become familiar with the signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning after an incident in Powys.

Fire crews from Llandrindod Wells attended a property in Howey last Friday morning (22 February) following the activation of the property’s carbon monoxide alarm and reports of feeling unwell from the occupier. One casualty evacuated the premises before the Service’s arrival.

One further casualty and a dog were rescued by crews, who entered the property with a gas monitor to detect the presence of CO. The casualty was treated at the scene by ambulance personnel and then conveyed to hospital.

CO is known as the silent killer. It is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas, which can kill quickly. It is produced from unsafe gas appliances, such as faulty boilers and solid fuel burning appliances. It can also cause long term health problems, including brain damage. The 6 main symptoms to look out for are:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

Community Safety Manager for North Powys, Stephen Rowlands said, “Being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life.The symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simple tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else”.

The Service would like to urge all residents to ask themselves the following questions if they think carbon monoxide might be present:

  • Do symptoms only occur whilst at home?
  • Do symptoms disappear or get better when leaving the home and then worsen again on return?
  • Are other members of the household experiencing symptoms (including pets) and do they appear at a similar time?
  • If you think you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
  • Get fresh air immediately
  • Open doors and windows
  • Turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check

If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999


Add comment

Anti-spam: complete the task

LTTV Lists



Andrews Cleaning Services Sponsor Llanelliitown.com



Path to Empowerment


Who's Online

We have 403 guests online

Search Your Llanelli

Sponsored Links